After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

El Dia de La Inmaculada Concepcîon

by Murillo, Bartolomé Esteban
Today is a holiday:  el Dia de la Inmaculada Concepcîon, a Holy Day of Obligation for Roman Catholics, or Dia de la Virgen, or the Day to Put Up Your Christmas Tree.

Check out my last year's post here.  I had my Virgens wrong, but still it's the national day of decorating for Christmas. Everyone brings out there tinseled  plastic trees from the closet and plugs them in. Dress shops drape ornaments around the bikinied mannequins in display windows.

Just to let you know, my beautiful little pine tree lives on and today we will bring it in from the terrace and decorate it for another year.

Ruben--my Papa Noel and my Christmas present

1 comment:

Notes From ABroad said...

My husband woke me this am to say, hey, today is a holiday ! So I looked and you told me what it was :)
The Virgin chose a good day, hot and sunny and good for staying in and reading a good book ,
Feliz Navidad, Cherie !