After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Laws of Tango, Part II: The Music

Here is the second installment of Fernando and Daniel's informative bilingual Tango series on BACast podcasts, which you can download and subscribe to on iTunes.

It's bilingual but not translated, so if you have some Spanish listen hard to the experts speaking rapid Castellano. Less wacky and funny than Part I, there is a lot of information to be had here from pros who know what they're talking about, and they illustrate their charla with music samples. One point that hit home with me is that you can play perfectly a tango from a score, but it still isn't "tango" without a certain feeling, rhythmic emphasis that isn't written down on the sheet music.

Ruben and I enjoyed contributing to The Laws of Tango, Part I: The Dance.
Part III promises to be extremely interesting as it's about tango lyrics and philosophy. Can't wait.

(Don't give up listening because of the rather long commercial at the beginning for the Chili Cook-off on July 1st.) Just endure; it's worth it to get to the good stuff.

No comments: