After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Dinner With Podestå



So lucky to have good friends like Marcela and Ruben, organizers of the milonga Nuevo Chiqué on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We were delighted to be invited to an asado one hot Saturday night at Marcela's house in Belgrano.

And so much like the Night of the Milongueros I wrote about four years ago, I opened my ears and listened to what this small group of folks who were there so long ago had to say about the tango.

Yes, they talked about the orchestras, and favorite moments long past, and lyrics of tangos, and then the great and famous singer Alberto Podestå, sitting across the table from me, sang Percal. Can you believe it?













The Maestro himself



Illuminated by a bright circle of light


Yes, la juventud se fue, but what memories!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Thanks so much Cherie, I love him! Love Him. Learning to Dj and working a lot in Seattle, he has been an inspiration.

Elizabeth Brinton said...

do you think I could meet him?

tangocherie said...

Well first you must come to BsAs, and then we'll see. I'd love to see you again anyway--maybe I can bribe you down here with an encuentro con Podestå?

Tangocommuter said...

Your tango in Hamlet's castle didn't really make me green with envy (it sounds a chilling affair!) but an asado with Podesta... Lucky you! Well, I can't complain: I heard him sing for the best part of an hour at Porteno y Bailarin in 2009. I couldn't believe that the singer who recorded Recién with Pedro Laurenz was still alive and singing! His voice has lost a lot, but his emotional intensity was unbelievable. He must have been 84 then, and it's wonderful to know that he's still active.