After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Charlas Con Coquito


I talk a lot with my bird; in fact, we often have great conversations in which I'm able to express my negative opinions, my feelings, to confess all in English or in bad Castellano, and he always listens carefully. He stops chattering his chirpy chirpy sounds, cocks his head, and fixes me with one beady eye and gives me his full attention (unlike most males when I talk). I can go on about anything with Coquito, no subject is taboo, no theory is too outrageous.

And then he always cheers me up when he says, Dame un beso! 
Beso, Coquito!! Beso, papa!




I love Mirasol, my Argentine cat. While she's no Phoebe the Expat Cat, then again she hasn't traveled with me to three countries. She's loving...what more does one want from a cat?




When I talk to Mirasol, she answers, Meow. Sometimes she initiates the conversation, with Meow?

Now Coquito not only asks questions--How are you? Okey dokey? 

But he answers them too--Te quiero, mama! Birdie Boy! Cookie!

I feel a little more sane to charlar con mi pajarito. Do you think? It beats conversations with myself.


3 comments:

Katie said...

I loved meeting Coquito and Mirasol. They're both adorable! I talk to my two cats all the time, so if that makes me (us) weird, then so be it. ;) I find pets to be very therapeutic and comforting, and honestly, I couldn't imagine life without my two critters.

tangocherie said...

Katie, I hate to even say it, but for the first time in my life I'm considering having two cats! You are so right about pets, but I hesitate when I think of twice the cat hair, twice the problems when we go away, etc.

Katie said...

Honestly, I don't view two cats as twice the work. Yes, there is more cat hair, the litter box gets dirty quicker, etc. - true. But you're already cleaning and caring for one animal, and it's not much more effort to pour a bit more food in the cat bowl or scoop out an extra "gift" from the litter box.

Good luck with your decision!