After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Tanguera" Dances into the Big Apple



Tanguera, the "tango Broadway show," finally opens tonight in New York--one week only!


















I'm not a big fan of tango shows, even though, like most of us drawn to tango, my introduction to Argentine tango was the appearance of Tango Argentino in Los Angeles in the '80s. Since moving to Buenos Aires in 2004, I've only bothered to go to a few "tango shows" and didn't especially like any of them.

But Tanguera is not your usual tango show, and is not danced by "tango dancers" (except for the fabulous Maria Nieves) but by people trained in ballet, jazz, contemporary, and for the stage. It has a plot, characterizations, pathos, great live music and great performances. I went to see it twice, which for me is saying a lot.

Read more about it here.

This is a show you can take your non-tango loving friends and spouses, because they too will love it!

So go if you can. You won't be sorry.

No comments: