After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Generation Y in Cuba



Currently running on Argentinian TV is an "expose" of life in Cuba, initiated perhaps by the timing of Argentina's El Presidenta visiting Cuba and chatting with Fidel on Obama's inauguration day.

I have an especial affinity in my heart for Cuba. Ever since I left the theater after The Buena Vista Social Club and bought a ticket to Havana, I feel connected to the small island nation that has had so much trouble with the U.S. I was thrilled to receive a license from the U.S. Treasury Dept. to conduct tours there.

I devour anything on Cuba, as many of you know, and have visited the island six times since 2000. (You can read here my 2007 post on dancing in Havana.)

And so last week I learned from Argentinian TV about the award-winning Cuban blogger, Yoani Sanchez, who writes for cyberspace, somehow and against all odds, from Havana. Her eye-opening and heart-tugging blog, Generation Y, is available in English, and is required reading for anyone interested in this amazing 500 year old country, 90 miles from Miami.

Especially poignant is her post, Come and Live It, for all travelers who would like to know what life in the "real" modern Cuba is like.

No comments: