After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Inauguration of New Friday Milonga at Boedo Tango



Well who knew when Ruben told me we were invited to the inauguration of Beto Rusconi's new milonga last night that there would be a surprise for me? I certainly didn't know that we were supposed to dance an exhibition of milonga traspie, the only performance of the evening! So we did, and I was very thankful I had worn my Comme Il Fauts! (Here I am with the organizer, Beto, in the Caminito restaurant inside the salon.)

This milonga in the gorgeous space above the Carrefour supermarket on San Juan, near Boedo, is in addition to the datenight dance there on Saturday, and Julia's mega hit on Wednesday, Sueño Porteño. It begins late, 10:30, so it's an option for those who go to Gricel. Since they are close, one could easily hit both of them. And it's ony 3 blocks from my house!

Unfortunately, last night it was more of a "baile" than a "milonga," in that they played a lot of "otros ritmos" -- cumbia, jazz, folklore, paso doble. We spoke to Beto about it and explained that tourists only want tandas of tangos, although they can bear up under the occasional tropical. He's hoping that groups of tourists will come, as the setting--with its 3 dance floors and attractive "Caminito" restaurant--is spectacular. Last night there were only a couple of foreigners amongst the large throng of revelers. Oh by the way, while we were performing, Beto announced over the microphone, "She's an American, ladies and gentlemen!"

Time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

For a previous post on Boedo Tango, go here.

No comments: