After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Cancer Dancer


CANCER DANCER


Maybe now it’s time to explain the glittery pink ribbon at the top of my blog:
I am a two-time cancer survivor. I first had breast cancer in 1993 and underwent surgery, radiation and heavy-dose chemo. I lost every hair on my body, and was very sick. The docs threw all their big guns at me as the cancer was advanced when it was discovered. But I got through it. I survived.

Then in 2002 in a routine checkup in Los Angeles, after I had lived in Mexico for a year, another, unrelated cancer was found in my other breast. This time they caught it early and so I didn’t have to have chemo, just surgery and radiation. I stayed with my son Jason for the two months of treatment in L.A., but worried a lot about Phoebe the Cat who was with a friend in Mexico.

I was the first in my group of friends to have cancer. My husband, Jack, died of cancer in 1991 but he was several years older. However after I completed my treatment, many other friends were diagnosed. Since I entered the world of tango nine years ago, I’ve met lots more tangueras who are members of the Pink Ribbon Club.

And so the pink ribbon above is to honor all survivors, their family members and friends,-- and so that we know we are not alone.

No comments: