After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Survivorpeople






One of my favorite TV shows (when I can get it down here) is Les Stroud's Survivorman. This guy goes out into any kind of wilderness alone with nothing but a couple of video cameras and maybe a piece of string, and makes the best of it--surviving--for a week. He knows how to get blood from a turnip, as it were.





















Ruben and I went off camping to the isla of Puerto la Pista this week in the Delta of Tigre to escape the tremendous heat of Buenos Aires--a feat of survival in itself.








While we did take a cooler of food and drink, still, for a cityslicker like myself, it was sort of an exercise in survival. Luckily I had Ruben along, who created fire (and kept it going for 3 days on a single match--Survivorman-style), caught food in the river, taught me how to paddle a kayack, and urged me to wash the dishes in cold water with a tiny bar of soap (I'm so NOT a girlscout!)








Check out this moth we found! Nature is amazing!

We survived very well in Tigre. But then after returning to BsAs last night, Ruben's car was stolen from in front of my building. There went six months of investing everything he had, including sanding and painting the old Falcon by hand. This car was to be a means of surviving for him. Sometimes surviving is more difficult in the city.

6 comments:

Beatrice M said...

I'm glad that you had a good time outside the city, but am so sorry for the shitty return. What a horrible thing. Grrrrr

Holly said...

That is terrible!

tangocherie said...

Thanks, friends.

tangocherie said...

Forgot to add, thank goodness also for tango! Dancing and teaching keeps us going, even when the rest of life is too much with us.

Anonymous said...

:-( I'm sorry his car was stolen. That makes me so sad. :-(

Glad you have tango :-) and each other :-)

Katie said...

It sounds like you had a great time on your trip, but I'm sorry you had to return to that! *hug*