After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Running in Circles


It's a New Year and time to update my "progress" or lack of same in the Paper Chase from Hell. (If you're not up to speed, read the last installment here.)

Thursday evening I went again down to 25 de Mayo and the Registro Nacional de Personas Extranjeras to ask for an appointment, the next step in my application for a long-term visa (2 years.) I began this process exactly 5 years ago when I first moved here.

Oh what luck! I had to hardly wait at all to speak to the young girl at the desk in this giant Fascist-style building that seemed straight out of the movie, Brazil. She and a security guard appeared to be the only workers in this depressing megalith. Never mind, I was hopeful because so few were there waiting. And even though it was a trauma when I had come here in November, I was positive that now in 2009 (and Obama winning) things were going to look up.

When my turn came, she asked to see my apostilled and translated birth certificate, but no problem, as I had brought my complete 5 lb file with me--I'm learning. (I had only been instructed to bring my latest "paper" and my passport, but then I had also been told to go between 8-10 a.m., when all the "turnos" for the day had already been given out.)

So I got my appointment--for December 21, almost a year from now. I explained that I have plans to spend Christmas with my family in Los Angeles, and she didn't even blink. Take it or leave it.

Oh yes, and my current "paper," the one that lets me stay here during the tramite process, it expires in August.

5 comments:

Sallycat said...

Hi dear Cherie!
So happy you got the appointment at last! That is great progress.
Gotta ask, What time did you go? Dya think it might be worth me trying at that time of day, instead of at 6am when they told me to go?
Big hug, SC

tangocherie said...

Hi Sally,
At this point, I don't really know if I want to give up Christmas with my kids for this stupid appointment.

Maybe I'll give it to you!

Anyway, yes, it is so much better if you go down there in the evening, around 7.

Good luck to you! :)

Katie said...

Hi Cherie,

I'm just catching up now on your nightmare...I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this. I'm dreading when it comes time for me to walk this same path.

At any rate, you certainly have a cheering section rooting for you through this blog. Despite the incredible frustrations, keep your head up. Surely your extreme patience will be rewarded some day.

Besos!

Anonymous said...

Surely, this is where the concept of sadism first evolved...

Anquises said...

En la próxima Navidad Santa Claus debería llevarle de regalo a los funcionarios de Migraciones un ejemplar de la Constitución argentina con el artículo 25 subrayado en rojo:
"El Gobieno federal ... no podrá restringir, limitar ni gravar con impuesto alguno la entrada en el territorio argentino de los extranjeros que traigan por objeto labrar la tierra, mejorar las industrias o introducir y enseñar las ciencias y las artes"
(Si a alguno de esos funcionarios le molesta que Cherie enseñe tango, habrá que recordarle que la milonga es africana y Gardel era francés)