After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Falling for Las Cataratas de Iguazu!




This background is so gorgeous that it looks fake, but it really is tangocherie and Ruben standing at the front of a rubber boat right before we zoom under the falls.

When we got our first good look of this amazing spectacle of nature, it brought tears to my eyes, although we were rushing to follow instructions to hurry, get the life vests on, sit down, cover your cameras, put belongings in waterproof bags, etc.

And then we were off to shoot the rapids! Everyone on the boat knew we would get soaked, but I don't think we believed HOW soaked!

So finally I realized a dream of seeing Iguazu.
My complaint? (And you know I have one!)
The way the national park is organized to get the maximum number of tourists in and out in a day, I felt rushed. Beautiful catwalks are built all over the falls, with lookouts, but you have to keep moving, whether it's on the catwalks, on a truck, or a train, or the best--a boat. There's no time to just watch and wonder. No place to look at the falls and have a picnic. No moment to contemplate the power of nature and the energy of water, the beauty of the ever-present rainbows.

We were there for 4 days, but spent only 5 hours at the falls, even less time than that actually seeing water (well if you don't count the hotel pool.)

We went without a hotel reservation, we called and called to no avail, and ended up at the Hotel Latino. Could have been worse. But honestly, I'm sorry that we didn't scrape up money from somewhere to stay at the Sheraton within the park, where the falls are visible 24/7. I mean the price difference is huge, but maybe for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, it's worth it.

NOTE: For all your transportation needs in Iguazu, airport transfers, shopping excursions to Paraguay, daytrips to Brazil, we highly recommend Martin Maldonado, a young man who really knows his way around in an air conditioned car: 03757-15537966.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cherie, Igazu is one of the most spectacular places I have ever been. It was a long time ago, and I'm sure it's been built up a lot more, with many more tourists. But it is so impressive. We had a bit of a heartpounding adventure of our own: we took a little motor boat at the top of the falls (I don't recall why we had to but it may have been the only way to get from a to b) and halfway between, the motor conked out. We drifted frighteningly close to the roar and mist of Garganta del Diablo before the clearly shaken driver got the thing started again. I think we all kissed the ground when we landed :-)