After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

La Milonga




Like an invisible thread, envy entangles the dancers around the dance floor and the tables. Deadly sin that everybody commits. The ones in the back envy the ones in the front row. Those who come with their partner envy the loners, the loners envy the couples. The young envy the experience, the old ones, the freshness. Those who work early envy those who can stay up late, the unemployed envy those who have a job. The foreigners envy the potenos,and the locals envy those who come to steal the girls or the milongueros…

--Sonia Abadi, Tangauta, Feb 2001

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Spanish teacher in BsAs had me reading from that book, El Bazar de los Abrazos. I love it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great quote, and I could easily see it as a compelling source to study. I am intrigued by what teacher is smart enough to use it. God knows my Spanish could use a lot of help.