After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Homage to a Milonguero

Ignacio Ramirez, 1949-2007


I first met Ignacio almost four years ago at Lo de Celia's, and he was always at Gricel on Friday nights, sometimes at Club Espanol. He was tall and slim, with gorgeous wavy silver hair and a beautiful deep laugh. He was a good person, and I counted him as a friend. When he was dating Cristina, Ruben and I often went to other milongas with them just to try out new places. Ignacio was always a lot of fun.

He hadn't been well for a few months, and I called him in April right before leaving for a short trip to Los Angeles. He sounded weak and said he'd been suffering from the flu, because his whole body ached. But still he laughed.

Ruben called me in L.A. to say that he had past on from cancer.

I wanted to have a small memorial service for him when I returned, but his children didn't want it. And so there's nothing now to do but to put this little eulogy on my blog. If anyone has a picture of him, please oh please send it to me to I can put it here. As it is, we will have to make do with this video of him dancing with Cristina at Gricel, one that I just happened upon at YouTube.

He will be remembered dancing.

No comments: