After eleven years living, dancing, teaching tango, and writing in Buenos Aires, I came home to L.A. in 2014, where I'm reconstructing my life.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Calling Steak Lovers: The Hidden Restaurant Gem in Belgrano





As most of you know from reading my blog, tangocherie was the lucky winner last month of Argentinas Travel Blog's Link to a Steak contest. And last night to celebrate El Dia de la Patria, Ruben and I were able to claim our steaks at El Pobre Luis, Arribenos 2393, in Belgrano.

I gotta tell you, it was the best meal I've had in the three years I've lived in Buenos Aires! Thank you Luis and Cesar!

Here's what we had:

Provolete with herbs
A fresh fresh green salad of watercress and rucula
Pamplona de cerdo (the specialty), which is stuffed rolled pork
Batata a la miel
and Bife Uruguayo

We washed all this good stuff down with a bottle of Trapiche Coleccion Roble Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 (fantastic!) and then with a bottle of Trapiche Malbec 2006.

The service was friendly and attentive and prompt. A large informal corner restaurant decorated with football memorabilia, it was packed by the time we got there at 8:30, just in time to see El Pobre himself slaving over his flaming parrilla. And there was a total turnaround of diners a couple of hours later. El Pobre Luis is only open from 8-12 Monday through Saturday. Try and go if you love meat. You won't be sorry.

Telephone for reservations: 4780-5847.

I've gotta get out of Boedo more! And maybe enter more contests!

No comments: